Additional 2022 Premier O Scale 2-10-4 Steam Locomotives Announced
June 21, 2022 - M.T.H. Electric Trains will be releasing three additional Premier O Scale 2-10-4 steam locomotives in two roadnames beginning this Fall. Each of these unique paint schemes will be outfitted with Proto-Sound 3.0 with the Pennsylvania version sporting, for the first time, a quillable steaming whistle. Each livery is available in very, very limited quantities. The locomotives should begin shipping to M.T.H. Authorized Retailers in October 2022.
The J1 was the Pennsy's War Baby, conceived and born to move freight for World War II. Like most American railroads, the Pennsylvania found itself short of motive power when traffic ramped up for the war. The Pennsy would have preferred to design its own modern steam loco, but the War Production Board declared otherwise. Only existing, proven designs would be authorized for wartime construction. In retrospect, that was probably a good thing, because none of the Pennsy's postwar steam designs came close to the success of the J1.
For its war baby, the Pennsylvania chose a design created twelve years earlier by Lima for the Chesapeake & Ohio. The C&O T1 2-10-4 possessed the key attribute of a modern "super-power" locomotive: power at speed. Home-built in the Juniata shops from 1942 to 1944, the Pennsy's 125 copies, designated classes J1 and J1a, were quickly recognized by Pennsy faithful as among of the best steamers produced in the modern era. They were at home anywhere west of Altoona, pounding up heavy grades or flying along level stretches. Being based on another road's design, they possessed two distinctively un-Pennsy features - a booster engine and a radial-stay rather than Belpaire firebox. However, their builders managed to give the J's a look all their own, with a substantial Pennsy cast pilot, streamlined cab windows, and a single massive dome that served as both sandbox and steam dome. Viewed from trackside at speed, the J's were the epitome of high, wide, and handsome.
Check out each of the offerings in the list on the left.
- Intricately Detailed, Die-Cast Boiler and Chassis
- Intricately Detailed, Die-Cast Tender Body
- Authentic Paint Scheme
- Real Tender Coal Load
- Die-Cast Locomotive Trucks
- Handpainted Engineer and Fireman Figures
- Painted Cab Backhead Gauges
- Legible Builders Plates
- Metal Handrails, Whiste and Bell
- Tender Truck Chains
- Scale Operating Kadee-Compatible Coupler
- Remote-Controlled Proto-Coupler
- O Scale Kadee-Compatible Coupler Mounting Pads
- Prototypical Rule 17 Lighting
- Constant Voltage LED Headlight
- Operating LED Firebox Glow
- Operating LED Marker Lights
- Operating LED Numberboard Lights
- Lighted LED Cab Interior
- Operating Tender LED Back-up Light
- Powerful 5-Pole Precision Flywheel-Equipped Skew-Wound Motor
- Synchronized Puffing ProtoSmoke System
- Steaming Quillable Whistle (Pennsylvania Version Only)
- Locomotive Speed Control In Scale MPH Increments
- Wireless Drawbar
- 1:48 Scale Dimensions
- Onboard DCC/DCS Decoder
- Proto-Sound 3.0 With The Digital Command System Featuring Quillable Whistle With Freight Yard Proto-Effects
- Unit Measures: 30 ½" x 4 ¼" x 2 ¾"
- Operates On O-72 Curves