- East Penn Railroad
- Chicago North Western
2021 RailKing Alco Rs-1 Diesel Engines Announced
July 6, 2021 - M.T.H. Electric Trains will be releasing several limited-edition releases of the RailKing Alco Rs-1 Diesel Engine in five different liveries, including Pennsylvania (Not shown above) later this Fall. These unique releases are expected to arrive in December 2021.
The American Locomotive Company pioneered the multi-purpose "road switcher" design in 1941 with its 1000 hp RS-1. Alco's designers added a second, shorter hood to a basic switcher to make room for a steam boiler for passenger train heat. The short hood also afforded the crew additional accident protection. Smoother-riding trucks made the RS-1 suitable for the higher road speeds that would be daunting in a typical switcher. Although EMD's later GP7 and GP9 sold better and really established the road switcher as a universal locomotive, the RS-1 had the longest production run of any American-made diesel. The last new RS-1 left Alco's shops in 1960.
Interestingly, the first two years of RS-1 production went to the military. The 13 units that had been delivered to American railroads were requisitioned from their owners, and, along with 144 additional engines, were sent to Iran, Russia, and U.S. Army posts. These RS-1s were fitted with three-axle trucks to make them suitable for lighter rail on overseas roads. A group that plied the Trans-Iranian Railroad became known as "the diesels that saved Russia" because they brought in food and other supplies after the Luftwaffe had crippled Russian shipping. These engines later became the prototype for Russia's own early diesels.
Check out each of the schemes in the list on the left.
- Intricately Detailed, Durable ABS Body
- Die-Cast Truck Sides, Pilots and Fuel Tank
- Metal Chassis
- Metal Handrails and Horn
- (2) Handpainted Engineer Cab Figures
- Authentic Paint Scheme
- Metal Wheels, Axles and Gears
- (2) Remote-Controlled Proto-Couplers
- Prototypical Rule 17 Lighting
- Directionally Controlled Constant Voltage LED Headlights
- (2) Precision Flywheel-Equipped Motors
- Operating ProtoSmoke Diesel Exhaust
- Onboard DCC/DCS Decoder
- Locomotive Speed Control In Scale MPH Increments
- 1:48 Scale Proportions
- Proto-Sound 3.0 With The Digital Command System Featuring Freight Yard Proto-Effects
- Unit Measures: 14” x 2 1/2” x 4”
- Operates On O-31 Curves